0845 003 8780
01635 574 160
This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Tax-qualified Chartered Surveyor specialising in tax incentives (capital allowances, land remediation relief and R&D tax relief/ credits)
Tax incentives underpin income and corporation tax calculations by giving tax relief for money spent to:
- Build, buy or refurbish commercial property;
- Clean-up land and buildings, or bring long-term derelict land back into economic use;
- Carry out research and development (R&D) or
- Undertake creative activities (films, animation, high-end and children's TV, video games, theatre, museums and galleries and orchestral concerts).
I am a Fellow of the Association or Taxation Technicians and a Fellow of the RICS with over 20 years' fiscal incentives experience. I co-write Bloomsbury Professional's 'Capital Allowances: Transactions & Planning' (including R&D tax incentives and land remediation relief) and Tolley's 'Tax Planning'. I also wrote RICS official best practice guidance note on Capital Allowances & Land Remediation Relief.
I advise on the full process involved in claiming these generous tax incentives, including technical advice, claim preparation, and agreement with HMRC and the Valuation Office Agency.
My role is to support my client and their accountant to pay the right amount of tax by making the most of these fiscal incentives in a low tax-risk way.
I am based in London and Cambridge but our team has members located across the UK. We travel nationwide to visit accountants, clients and their properties.
We are happy to carry out a free of charge and no obligation (ie, at our risk) up-front feasibility review to assess the potential tax savings and propose an appropriate fee.
We then usually charge on a variable fee basis, or a fixed fee if the client prefers.
We also charge on a time-basis for difficult to scope work that does not lend itself to a results-based fee (eg, assisting with contentious HMRC enquiry negotiations on claims we have not prepared).
After working for three quantity surveying firms I specialised in capital allowances. I worked in the London corporate tax departments of two major international accounting firms, was promoted to Senior Manager and advised on many of the UK's largest and most technically complex capital allowances matters. I was at 'ground zero' advising on R&D incentives, when the scheme for R&D revenue expenditure was introduced in 2000. In 2004 I left to become a Director of a specialist firm, which was later bought by a national accountancy firm, and in 2019 I joined a leading tax incentives specialist which is part of a national full-service law firm.
Publications and Lecturing etc
I write or co-write a number of tax incentives books. These include:
- RICS's 'Black Book' guidance note on Capital Allowances and Land Remediation Relief
- Bloomsbury Professional's (formerly Tolley's/ Tottel's) Capital Allowances: Transactions & Planning (updated annually);
- the relevant chapter in Tolley's Tax Planning (a highly regarded multi-author volume, published annually) and
- Tolley's Handbook on The Capital Allowances Act 2001 (the only fully annotated copy of the Act to have been published, with detailed notes and expert commentaries in plain English).
I have written many articles, including for: Taxation, The Tax Journal, Tolley's Practical Tax, ICAEW Tax Faculty's TAXline, AccountingWEB, RICS Commercial Property Journal, Law Society's Property in Practice and the Solicitors Journal. I have lectured and presented webinars and podcasts for LexisNexis, MBL Seminars, Practical Law Company, TAXtv and the University of Law.
I have a first class BSc(Hons) degree in Quantity Surveying and a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration (PGDip.BA) from a leading UK business school.