0845 003 8780
01635 574 160
This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
I'm a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser with 35 years experience advising SMEs and the independent wealthy. I explain complex tax matters in simple English!
A Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser, I've worked in senior roles in a number of accounting firms. I've spent over 30 years in the North East of England following six years working in London in the 1980s, qualifying as a Chartered Accountant there with Price Waterhouse. Since returning the the North East I have been a Tax Partner is several leading independent firms in the region, two of which were sold to larger businesses during my time there. I am a former Chair of the North East England branch of the Chartered Institute of Taxation. I set up my tax consultancy business in 2019 due to family circumstances and my work involves advising both my clients and those of other firms who refer "unusual" tax situations to me.
I've advised clients in every stage of their lives; here are some examples:
- Helping a new start-up business attract investment by the use of tax incentives
- Advising couples on the tax planning they should consider before getting married
- Helping those investing in property to identify the best structure for them, sole ownership, partnership, LLP, company, trust, pension scheme.
- Working with business owners to extract profits tax-efficiently
- Helping employers to retain and reward key employees through the use of share options and other techniques.
- Helping businesses to identify tax-efficiencies in their operations and structure through the maximisation of reliefs and the use of corporate groups and other vehicles.
- Working with parents to help them plan for children's education costs
- Advising companies on the tax-efficient reorganisation of their businesses to enable the sale of a division
- Working with families to help them emigrate from or migrate to the UK
- Helping business owners to identify succession plans and implement those plans
- Working with families to mitigate the burden of Inheritance Tax on family assets
I have worked with many of my retained clients for over 15 years and in some cases, through a number of generations.
I work in a collaborative fashion with clients and other advisers and have a wide network of contacts who can be brought in to assist in the implementation of projects. I am happy to work with clients directly or to provide advice to their accountants. I recognise that accountants might hesitate to refer work to other professionals who do similar work and I'm happy, of course, to agree "no-poaching".
I prefer to work on a fixed fee basis if at all possible. This requires the advice and project to be tightly defined at the outset. If that is not possible I will work on a time-charged basis. I'm happy to discuss rates.
Away from tax, I'm a Trustee of a local charity which supports the elderly by arranging for volunteers and their dogs to visit periodically. I like listening to music and have a keen interest in current affairs, sport and genealogy.